If you think banana are just meant for the chimp- think again! Bananas are renowned for their numerous health benefits. In this article are a few interesting facts about bananas. It is likely that you know some of these facts while others may take you by surprise. Without further ado, here are 5 interesting banana facts.
1. Bananas are extremely healthy for your heart. If you did not know, bananas are extremely rich in potassium. This mineral is an electrolyte that helps the body to keep the electrical impulses flowing seamlessly through the body. Without these impulses, the heart would not function. With this in mind, eating banana keeps your heart happy and healthy.
2. Although bananas are rich in high levels of potassium, the sodium content is quite low. But is this a bad thing? Not quite. This imbalance helps to keep the risk of high blood pressure, one of the most common cardiovascular disease, minimum.
3. Bananas are also naturally radioactive. The high level of potassium in a banana comes as a potassium-40 isotope, which is a radioactive version. To add to this bummer, this radioactive potassium is not harmful to the body.
4. In case you are having a hard time sleeping, a banana can help you with that. The high levels of vitamin B6 content have been found to naturally help to sleep.
5. If you are having trouble with your muscles are feeling stressed out, take a banana. Bananas are extremely rich in magnesium, which is a natural muscle relaxant. When your muscles are relaxed, your body will slip into a sleep mode and this where you go to sleep.
6. Are your feeling depressed? Well, eat a banana. This will help you boost your mood due to their high level of tryptophan. The body processes this tryptophan and converts it into serotonin, which is basically a neurotransmitter that has been found effective in elevating mood. If you get the blues, go for yellow.
7. Bananas come with low calcium content but still ideal for your bones. This is unlike with milk, which is extremely high on calcium but equally extremely unhealthy for your bones. One reason simple explanation about this is that bananas also come with fructooligosaccharides.
This is simply a carbohydrate that cannot be digested by the body but is known to encourage probiotics, which in return increase the body’s ability to absorb calcium. In addition, magnesium in bananas facilitates the absorption of calcium.